pallore-m ha dicho: Event Horizon is AMAZING. Do you have any films alike it you could advise?
Absolutely! Though, fair warning: I’m not usually a fan of the “shit goes down in space” genre (which goes to show exactly how awesome Event Horizon is), so they’ll be movies that focus more on similar atmosphere and/or scares, not necessarily similar settings. And without further ado, here we go!
- The Shining - A classic. If you haven’t seen it yet, do; if you have seen it, watch it again— you already know that shit is amazing. This matches Event Horizon surprisingly well in terms of protagonist-turned-antagonist, stark and unsettling atmosphere, and the gradual escalation from spooky to surreal nightmare. Very fun.
- Cube - If you want to skip the character building and go straight to people trying to survive being trapped in a torture box, this is for you. It doesn’t sound complicated, because it really isn’t, but still worth a viewing if the climax of Event Horizon struck a chord with you. The set(s) are a dead match, really.
- The Thing (1982) - Isolated scientists/researchers getting killed of in increasingly gruesome ways. Familiar, right? This movie, however, does an equally grand job of personalizing the characters in peril and the hopelessness of their situation is almost outshone by the amazingly creative (and downright scary) special effects that are anything but dated. Also, that goddamned dog. It should’ve won an Oscar, but it probably would have hate-stared the award committee to death.
- Ghost Ship - I’m pulling this one out of the “so bad it’s good again” folder. Don’t get me wrong: it’s high-octane early-2000s horror shlock, but it’s FUN. That opening scene will stick with you forever, whether it made you laugh or not. Still! Derelict ship with a rescue crew discovering that it houses some supernatural evil? How could I not mention it?
- [REC] (2007) - Don’t bother with the American remake, because the original is far superior and the ending is much scarier. Certainly more of a found-footage “zombie outbreak” movie, but there’s a reason that phrase is in quotation marks. I won’t spoil it for anyone, just rest assured that it’s worth a view!
- Grave Encounters - Another found-footage film that exceeds expectations. The first few minutes, you’ll be sure that there’s been a huge mistake and you’re watching something embarrassingly bad, but WAIT. As things start to go wrong in the abandoned hospital, they go really, really wrong and with competent effects to make for some great scares.
- House on Haunted Hill (1999) - Say what you will, but I’m a rabid fan of this ridiculous movie. It’s a film that’s very self-aware of the inevitable goofiness of horror and plays into it, making the actual scares and gore even more shocking when they happen. Plus, motherfucking Jeffrey Combs. And Geoffrey Rush. And a cameo by James Marsters. C’mooon.
Like most movie lists, especially horror, I could go on and on and on... But! Those are definitely my top suggestions for “if you liked Event Horizon.” And to sate those people who still want “shit goes down in space,” stick with Alien, Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sunshine, Moon, etc., etc… Whatever. Space, I guess.
Thanks for asking!